Students will master the fundamentals of Transact-SQL—and develop their own code for querying and modifying data in Microsoft SQL Server 2016. Led by a SQL Server expert, readers learn the concepts behind T-SQL querying and programming, and then apply their knowledge with exercises in each chapter. Once students understand the logic behind T-SQL, they'll quickly learn how to write effective code.
Effectively query and modify data using Transact-SQL
Master T-SQL fundamentals and write robust code for Microsoft SQL Server and Azure SQL Database. Itzik Ben-Gan explains key T-SQL concepts and helps you apply your knowledge with hands-on exercises. The book first introduces T-SQL’s roots and underlying logic. Next, it walks you through core topics such as single-table queries, joins, subqueries, table expressions, and set operators. Then the book covers more-advanced data-query topics such as window functions, pivoting, and grouping sets. The book also explains how to modify data, work with temporal tables, and handle transactions, and provides an overview of programmable objects.
Microsoft Data Platform MVP Itzik Ben-Gan shows you how to:
- Review core SQL concepts and its mathematical roots
- Create tables and enforce data integrity
- Perform effective single-table queries by using the SELECT statement
- Query multiple tables by using joins, subqueries, table expressions, and set operators
- Use advanced query techniques such as window functions, pivoting, and grouping sets
- Insert, update, delete, and merge data
- Use transactions in a concurrent environment
- Get started with programmable objects–from variables and batches to user-defined functions, stored procedures, triggers, and dynamic SQL